The State Government and Tourism Victoria HAVE PROPOSED FOUR POTENTIAL SITES AT COWES TO CONSTRUCT a large piEr, docking terminal and car park for a proposed Car FerrY. oNE OF THOSE SITES IS west cowes beach, .
One of the current four preferred locations is just East of Anderson Road boat ramp, which would have major negative impacts on the West Cowes Beach, including:
- Loss of the community's recreational beach
- Likely loss of boat ramp
- Endangers Hooded Plover & Echidnas on site
- Potential dredging endangers beach survival
- Visual eyesore of massive ferry pier/car park
- Reduced access to beach / cuts beach in two
- Significant traffic congestion on local streets
- Prioritising commercial interests over residents
- This second drop off point adds cost and time
We need to send a strong message that this is a totally unsatisfactory location for such a large commercial activity. The Government must find a location that won't take away from what makes Phillip Island so special.
Find out how you can help below.