Potential Vehicle Ferry pier would destroy the beach at Cowes West!
The State Government has proposed a new pier, docking terminal, and car park be constructed on Phillip Island to service a vehicle ferry. One of their four preferred locations is just East of the Anderson Road boat ramp and only a few local residents have been informed.
The beach is a community asset and a pier would destroy the visual amenity and reduce access to the beautiful, north-facing, West Cowes family beach area.
Additional problems include:
- Erosion from dredging
- Commercial activity in a residential area
- Negative increased traffic impact - up to 40 cars hourly
- Negative impact on noise
- Negative impact on wildlife. Eg the Hodded Plover
- Loss of sandy, north-facing beach
- Loss of car parking for beach users
- Loss of boat trailer parking for boat ramp users
- Loss of native vegetation